Monday, August 16, 2010

There is No Plan B

After reading chapter seven, I see that I have done an inadequate job at sharing the gospel. In this chapter Platt shares with us our spiritual condition without Jesus. We have all rejected God, and are guilty and condemned before him. Yet, Jesus came to live the life we cannot live, die the death we should have died, and rose victorious from death. This is the essence of the gospel. As Christians we believe this and preach this, but do we live it? We say that Jesus is the only way to God but by the way we live our lives we say otherwise. This is evident in how urgent we are to tell others about Jesus. We have the cure for cancer but aren’t willing to share it. I know I’m not doing all I can to spread the gospel. I call myself a minister of the gospel but I don’t share it, as I ought. What got me the most in this chapter was at the very end. Platt says that many of us wonder, “What is God’s will for my life?” We read books and listen to sermons trying to find something that gives us a tingling down our spine so that we know that God has “called” us to do it. Yet, we sit by twiddling our thumbs confused as to what we are to be doing, when it has already been given. God has not just called us to do something he has commanded us to do something. In Matthew 28:18-20 “And Jesus came and said to them, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age’” I shouldn’t wonder what God has called me to do when he has already commanded me to do it. I am to be about sharing the gospel where I am at and around the world. I can’t wait until I am done studying how to share the gospel in order to effectively share it. I must be about the Great Commandment even while studying how to do it better. We, and I, must remember that we are God’s plan for sharing the gospel to people who have not heard the name of Jesus. If we don’t do it, the work will not get done. We must step up to the plate and do our job and not expect others to do what God has commanded us to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment